- Captains can sign up for the summer combo league for $5 from now until March 16th.
- Players can signup starting on March 17th.
- League play starts April 5th.
- All matches will be at Coosa Country Club on clay.
- Matches will be on Saturday & Sunday
- For more info email Eddie Stokes at
- Adult 55 & Over fields 3 doubles lines each week.
- Must turn 55 in the year the league plays.
Recently, the CVTA's own Mike Colombo wrote a column
in the Rome News-Tribune
mentioning tennis in Rome. Severo Avila also penned a column
enumerating Rome's numerous avenues for exercise, including tennis. Both are good reads.
for the fall 18+ and 40+ Adult leagues have been published.
The captains meeting scheduled for Wednesday, February 12, has been cancelled due to inclimate weather. All captains should have received a schedule via email, if not, contact
, the League Coordinator.
- Captains can sign up for the spring 40+ league for $5 until February 1st.
- Players can signup starting on February 2nd.
- Captains meeting is at 6pm February 12th at Rome Tennis Center. (CANCELLED)
- League play starts February 15th.
- 3.5 flights will be on Saturday, 3.0 & 4.0 will be on Sunday
- For more info email Eddie Stokes at
- Adult 40 & Over fields 3 doubles lines and one singles line each week.
- Must turn 40 in the year the league plays.
- Captains can now create teams for the Spring Adult league for $5 until February 1.
- Players can signup starting on February 2.
- Captains meeting is at 6pm on February 12 at Rome Tennis Center. (CANCELLED)
- League starts February 17th.
- For more info or help finding a team, email Eddie Stokes at
- For help creating a team, follow our handy guide.
- 2.5 flights have 1 singles and 2 doubles lines. All others have 2 singles and 3 doubles.
- Players must turn 18 in the year the league plays.
The Rome Tennis Center is now offering year long tennis passes. This could save you money over paying the $4 court fee each time. The break even point is about 3 visits per month, less for college students and seniors. Contact the tennis center at 706-290-0072, or ask the next time you are playing downtown.
College Student and Senior Pass (50 & over)
|Family Pass (up to 5 people )
The CVTA proudly presents the 2013 Captain of the Year award to Rosemary Watson.
Rosemary is a tireless captain who goes the extra mile for her teammates, including bringing extra tennis balls and candy for her players. On cold days she has been known to bring hot chocolate and coffee and even offer some to the opposing team. Her ten years of dedication to her teams has earned her much praise from all corners of the Rome tennis community:
"I appreciate the different facets of our mother-daughter-sister-girlfriend relationship that we all have with Rosemary!"
"She always makes sure we are prepared for our match with tennis balls and candy! But, more importantly she is an inspiration. After all of her trials and tribulations, she still manages to make it onto the court and kick bootie! I hope I have her spunk and get up and go when I'm her age!"
"Rosemary truly cares about us. She treats us like we are her daughters. She always encourages us!"
"Rosemary is one of the strongest women I know. She always has a smile on her face and is always willing to do anything for anybody. She's not only beautiful on the outside, but also on the inside. She has a heart of gold, not only for her team but for the entire tennis community."
"Rosemary's love for tennis and her tennis team is remarkable. She has given so much to us and to the CVTA community. We appreciate her dedication for us all!! We always know she's there and love her very much :)"
As a testament to her upbeat personality and perseverance, she was recently featured in Magnolia magazine.
There will be a brief award ceremony at the tennis social on Saturday to present the award and recognize Rosemary's many contributions. Please come join us in the celebration.
||Adult 55+ (weekends)
||Mixed 18+ (weekends)
||Adult 40+ (weekends)
||Adult 55+ (weekends)
||Just Sports League
||Mixed 40+ (weekends)
||Combo 40+ (weekends)
On occasion, we come across interesting real game scenarios whose resolution may not be obvious. In some cases we've contacted the USTA for guidance on how to interpret the rules.
In a recent CVTA doubles match, played on clay, the ball was hit deep to the opponent's base line. The opponent at the net called the ball in. The player at the base line, made no call, but quickly reviewed the mark left on the clay. The mark showed the ball landing out and the player proceeded to call it out.
Who get's the point?
According the USTA, since there is no provision in The Code to overturn a call based on a mark left on clay, it's a disagreement in call (see The Code #14) thus since the net player called the ball in, that's the call that must be followed.
If the net player held their call, the out call would have been permitted after reviewing the mark.
The CVTA has donated a new ice machine to replace the temperamental one that finally died a few years ago. While it has a small footprint, it contains more ice than it's predecessor. The machine was paid for with proceeds from one of the tournaments hosted in Rome. Feel free to load your water bottles and coolers at your next league match.
The Rome Tennis Center downtown is running specials on use of their Lobster Phenom II ball machine.
- All League players get $5 off per hour rental ($15/ hour)
- First timers pay only $8 for the 1st hour
- Every 5th hour of rental is FREE
For those not familiar with the machine, the Lobster Phenom II has a variety of options, from isolated stroke practice and side to side feeding for multiple shots to specified programmed drills and adjustable spin, speed, height, etc. It comes with a remote control that adjusts about everything the machine does all from where you are hitting!
The staff will gladly set up the machine, instruct you on what it can do and how to adjust it yourself, and bring it in after you're finished! All you have to do is have fun working on your game and pick up.
To reserve the Phenom, please call the tennis center at 706-290-0072
Coosa Country Club invites all juniors to join their after school tennis program, known as the Coosa International Tennis Academy, or CITA. It's an excellent way to introduce your children to tennis or prepare them for their school tennis team or for competitive tournaments. The costs are very reasonable for this level of instruction.
All skill ranges and ages are welcome, starting from Teddy Tennis, once a week to advanced students, Monday through Friday. All sessions are after school.
The program is run by the Coosa Country Club and JP Selle, the club's tennis pro. Club members receive CITA tuition discounts.
For more information call the Coosa Tennis Shop at 706-291-0038 or email
- May 2-5: Adult (18 & Over, 4.0, 4.5, 5.0) in Macon
- May 9-12: Adult (18 & Over, 2.5, 3.5) in Augusta
May 16-19: Adult (18 & Over, 3.0, 4.0 Low) in Rome
May 30-June 2: Adult (40 & Over, 3.0, 4.0) in Columbus
May 30-June 2: Adult (40 & Over, 3.5, 4.5) in Athens
June 6-8: Adult (55 & 65 & Over, 3.0-4.0, 9.0) in Savannah
August 8-11: Mixed (18 & 40 & Over, 2.5, 6.0-10.0) in Augusta
For more information, click over to the USTA State Championships website